Athletic Pay to Participate Fees

Pay to Participate Fees

BPS student-athletes are required to submit a pay to participate fee before joining an athletic team. Here are some quick facts. A detailed explanation is below.

Fee (per season)

· Middle School Intramural Sports: $55

· Middle School Interscholastic Sports: $135

· High School Interscholastic Sport: $155, $175 or $195 (tiered)

· Free and Reduced Lunch Qualified Students: 25% of the appropriate fee above.

Financial Assistance

Students who are registered for the Free or Reduced Lunch Program can waive 75% of the athletic pay to participate fee. The remaining 25% is required for participation.

We do not want any student to miss the opportunity to participate in athletics due to financial hardship. If you need further assistance, please contact the appropriate athletic director or your building principal.

Details

BPS has utilized pay to participate fees for athletics and other activities for more than 25 years. This practice helps us focus district resources in the classroom.

Tiered Fee

In 2011 BPS introduced a tiered pay to participate structure. At the high school level for 2015-16, 13 sports have a fee of $175, 1 has a fee of $195 (football) while the other 13 paid sports have a fee of $155. There are 3 sports which are self-funded and participants do not pay the district a pay to participate fee.

The goal of the athletic department is to become more independent of the BPS General Fund each year. A portion of that additional revenue is from pay to participate fees. Instead of raising all fees, we have evaluated which sports are more expensive and we have assigned a slightly higher fee to them.

The tiered model was created to generate the revenue required by the budget in a manner which recognizes the relative per player cost structure of different sports. In other words, on a per player basis, some sports are more expensive than others for the district to operate. Feedback from parents led to this model where athletes in higher cost sports pay more ($20 or $40).

Calculation

There are certain fixed overhead costs for athletics. They include (but are not limited to):

· Personnel (AD, Trainer, Secretarial Support, Custodial, Maintenance, Security)

· Administrative (Office, Technology, Supplies, Memberships)

· Facilities

· Non Sport-Specific Equipment (Cones, Medicine Balls, Jump Ropes, Scrimmage Pennies)

· First Aid, Training Room, Fitness Center

· Repairs/Upgrades

· League and State Association (MHSAA)

· Training/Compliance

These annual costs are allocated to all BPS athletes equally. In the past, this has been the basis of the pay to participate fees charged to all student-athletes.

Each BPS sport was then evaluated based on 6 sport-specific expense categories:

· Equipment (Purchasing and Reconditioning)

· Tournament Entry Fees

· Referee Expense

· Contest Worker Expense

· Transportation

· Coaching

Finally, those costs were summed and divided by the number of student-athletes in each program using a three-year average for both Groves and Seaholm. This model produced a factor for each sport regarding its specific cost per participant.

The resulting rank gave us the ability to draw a line between tiers of high school sports. Those which cost more per player are Football, Baseball, Basketball, Volleyball, Water Polo (boys and girls), Softball, Wrestling, Golf, Lacrosse and Skiing.

Helpful Notes:

· A major factor in this equation is the number of students in a program. A simple example is Track and Field. There are five coaches paid by the district for high school track. However, that expense is divided in some years by more than 110 athletes. Compare that to a sport such as basketball which has three coaches. That expense is typically divided by about 40 athletes.

· A second major factor is the number of contests for each sport. Football plays only 9 games per season. Baseball and Softball have dozens of contests. Each contest typically requires referees and other game-specific support - or perhaps transportation.

· The three-year average numbers are used to minimize any anomalies. For example, league schedules, weather, success in the state tournament, change in uniform requirements or many other factors can cause a single-year expense to be unusual.

· The numbers were evaluated for both high schools and averaged. While the cost structure for each program over a three year period is very close, the number of participants can vary between the two buildings.

More Information

If you would like more information, please contact the appropriate Athletic Director.

Tom Flynn (Groves, Berkshire BCS): tf01bps@birmingham.k12.mi.us

Aaron Frank (Seaholm, Derby): af02bps@birmingham.k12.mi.us